Welcome to the PHYS 2402 Course :: Fall 2015
- TT 12:30 pm - 1:50 pm @ SC 010
- We will start with a discussion of special theory of relativity, move to simple quantum mechanical system and explore the Schrodinger equation.We will later concentrate on the hydrogen atom and spectroscopy.
- Time permitting; the course will cover material from the first 10 chapters in the text.
The following scores will be accumulated during the course of the semester:
- 3 In-Class Quizzes + HW (25%)
- Lab work (20%)
- Term Paper + Presentation (10%)
- Mid-term Exam (20%)
- Final Exam(25%)
No makeup exams or quizzes will be given.
Your letter grade will be determined according to the following scale: A (90-100), B (80-89), C (70-79), D (60-69) and F(0-59).
- Homework sets will be assigned regularly (see class schedule) and will be based on the material presented in class.
- The assignments will be collected and there will be 20-minute-long quizzes on the dates indicated based on the assignments.
- There will be 3 sets; Q1 to Q3
- HW Assignments:
Date Due Chapter Homework Assignments 9/17 9/24 3 13, 17, 23, 25, 28, 31, 37, 38, 41, 44 9/24 10/6 4 13, 15, 20, 31, 36, 41, 48, 53, 63, 66
- A term paper will be written (5-10 pages) and orally presented (15 minutes).
- Topic for the term paper will be decided in consultation with the instructor based on the topics covered in the lab and the course.
- The term paper will have to conform to either MS word or Physical Review,RevTeX4, see URL guidelines.
- Term paper grade is 10% of your grade.
- I encourage you to attend the Physics Colloquium. You might find a topic interesting and decide to write your paper on that.
- PHYS 2402 Lab Manual
- PHYS 2402 Lab Schedule:
- PHYS 2402 Lab TA:
- Physics Colloquium: Schedule