Welcome to the PHYS 2402 Course :: Spring 2015
- TT 11:00am - 12:20pm @ SC 204
- We will start with a discussion of special theory of relativity, move to simple quantum mechanical system and explore the Schrodinger equation.We will later concentrate on the hydrogen atom and spectroscopy.
- Time permitting; the course will cover material from the first 10 chapters in the text.
The following scores will be accumulated during the course of the semester:
- 3 In-Class Quizzes + HW (20%)
- Lab work (25%)
- Term Paper + Presentation (10%)
- Mid-term Exam (20%)
- Final Exam(25%)
No makeup exams or quizzes will be given.
Your letter grade will be determined according to the following scale: A (90-100), B (80-89), C (70-79), D (60-69) and F(0-59).
- Homework sets will be assigned regularly (see class schedule) and will be based on the material presented in class.
- The assignments will be collected and there will be 20-minute-long quizzes on the dates indicated based on the assignments.
- There will be 3 sets; Q1 to Q3
- HW Assignments:
Date Due Chapter Homework Assignments 2/3 2/10 2 20, 26, 36, 41, 46, 51, 55, 70, 76, 87, 92, 111 2/10 2/19 3 13, 17, 23, 25, 28, 31, 37, 38, 41, 44 2/24 3/3 4 13, 15, 20, 31, 36, 41, 48, 53, 63, 66
- A term paper will be written (5-10 pages) and orally presented (15 minutes).
- Topic for the term paper will be decided in consultation with the instructor based on the topics covered in the lab and the course.
- The term paper will have to conform to either MS word or Physical Review,RevTeX4, see URL guidelines.
- Term paper grade is 10% of your grade.
- I encourage you to attend the Physics Colloquium. You might find a topic interesting and decide to write your paper on that.
- PHYS 2402 Lab Manual
- PHYS 2402 Lab Schedule: 2402-501 (Monday at 2:00pm), 2402-502 (Wednesday at 2:00pm), 2402-503 (Tuesday at 2:00pm)
- PHYS 2402 Lab TA: Charles Ramey, e-mail: email@example.com
- Physics Colloquium: Schedule